Brownie are one of my favourite bakes. They are easy peasy, which brings me to the secret ingredient: sweet green peas!
These protein packed brownies are decadent and made without butter or refined sugar. I added a little coconut sugar which you can replace with a sweetener if you prefer.
I mixed in a little coconut oil with the wet ingredients. Also the chocolate sauce topping is optional, you can find the ingredients for that in the notes section.
You can keep this brownie refrigerated for up to 5 days or cut into pieces and freeze for up to three months.
Here’s a link to brownies I made with bananas, made with three ingredients! It is also toddler approved.
I created these chocolate milkshakes as I am super chocolate obsessed so felt I wanted to have all the cacao 🙂
Chocolate Brownies with a Secret Ingredient (Protein Packed)Print This
- 100g / 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 50g / 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 33g / 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds (or chia seeds if you don't have flax)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 500g sweet peas drained and rinsed if canned, defrosted if from frozen
- 110g / 1/3 cup maple/date syrup
- 60ml / 1/4 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 28g / 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- Add the first half of ingredients (dry) to a big bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until there are no lumps.
- Blend the sweet peas with all the other wet ingredients in your blender/food processor.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is combined. If the batter is to thick add a splash of plant-based milk. If it is too runny add a tbsp of flour at a time to thicken it.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper or grease with a little coconut oil.
- Bake in the oven at 200 degrees C or 390 degrees F for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick/fork comes out almost clean.
For the chocolate sauce topping I mixed together 2 tablespoons nut butter with 2 tablespoons coconut oil and 1 tablespoon cacao powder. Top the brownie once cool and leave the chocolate sauce to set in the fridge.